Thursday 4 February 2010

New interview with Esai Morales (AOL TV)

AOL TV has posted a new interview with Esai Morales. You can read it here.
Funny – I just spoke with Lou Diamond Phillips [Morales' 'La Bamba' co-star] about a month ago for his sci-fi show, 'Stargate: Universe'...

You'd think SyFy would run a show called 'La Bamba in Space' or something. It's like they got the both of us. How ironic, how weird!

What made you want to be a part of 'Caprica'?

I think the legacy left behind by 'Battlestar' speaks for itself. I thought that these avid fans, most of whom were skeptical at first...to turn them into a fan of 'Caprica' as well is a daunting task, a big challenge. Based on the responses I've been getting, I'd say 75-80 percent of those skeptics have been won over. That's a huge number. Even if you find the show a little slow or confusing, if you stick with the show, it'll stick with you.

Not unlike a virus?

Well, what we're doing is slowly laying hooks into you, which we will later rip out.

It was a little slow at first, but once the teenager's voice came out of the Cylon body, I was sucked right back in.

The hair stood up on the back of my neck when I saw that scene. It was like 'Oooooooh!'

You're aware how rabid sci-fi fans are – are you ready for the dissecting and possible obsession that only sci-fi fans can provide?

I guess. You never know, unless people go truly rabid. Hopefully no foam will be coming out of their mouths. If I see that, I may have to run.

'Caprica' is not your typical sci-fi, and that's what makes it stand out.

That's the thing – with sci-fi, it's a thinking-person's genre in and of itself. Geeks are not known for their stupidity. It's an adult drama that appeals to young people as well. I call it a multi-generational, multi-genre family saga, that's set in the sci-fi world. I also really like that who you do is up to you on 'Caprica'. We've gotten past that whole "You sleep with people of the same sex? Ew" kind of mentality. You love who you love and you make a commitment.

No comments: