Sunday 7 February 2010

Interview with Alessandra Torresani and Magda Apanowicz

IESB.net has a new interview with Alessandra Torresani and Magda Apanowicz. You can check it out here.

IESB: How did you get involved with Caprica? Did you just audition for it, or was there something specific about this show that appealed to you?

Alessandra: Mine was a regular audition. I actually didn't know if I wanted to do sci-fi. Once I decided, I read the script and fell in love with it. It was an audition process of me going through about seven times.

Magda: When I auditioned for it, I remember that I didn't want to go in for any auditions because I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled out, but I also ready it and was like, "I have to audition for this." And then, when they were doing the call-backs, after my surgery, I got dry socket and my one side got infected, so my whole face started to swell up. And then the other side of my mouth got dry socket, and I couldn't actually talk for about a month and I couldn't eat solid foods, so I couldn't go for the call-backs. I was very lucky that they trusted in me and they cast me.

IESB: Was there ever any hesitation for either of you, when it came to signing on to play a character that you could end up playing for a number of years?

Magda: I never did. I've had a lot of luck with a lot of TV series that I've done for two or three years in a row. It's an awesome thing to be able to see a character grow, and it doesn't have to stay the same, just because you're doing it for years.

Alessandra: I think it's every actor's dream to be on a show for many years and grow with that character because then you have opportunities to do film and play multiple people, but you always have your ground base and you have that family.

IESB: Can you talk about who your character is and how that character fits into the story of the show?

Alessandra: I play Zoe Graystone, and I play Zoe avatar, and I play Zoe robot, and then I play two other Zoes later on. The first Zoe is the richest girl in the world. Her dad is the Bill Gates of Caprica. She is a rebel. She's trying to fight for the Soldiers of the One. She creates the avatar of herself because she has a plan for the avatar to get to Gemenon, but that falls through when she gets bombed by her boyfriend. And then, the avatar gets put into a robot body by her father.

Magda: I play Lacy Rand, who is Zoe Graystone's best friend. In the pilot, we are trying to get to Gemenon and Lacy decides she can't go, and she loses her best friend on the train when she gets blown up. For a long time, it's Lacy trying to help Zoe fulfill the mission that she originally set out to do, to go to Gemenon, and she keeps failing her.

IESB: Alessandra, do you see all these different versions of Zoe as different facets of the same character, or do you see them all as separate people?

Alessandra: No, I see them as the same blank pallette, and they all have different colors to them. The original Zoe will always only be the original Zoe, the avatar will only be the avatar, and so forth. They're all the same basis, but they're all very different, in their own way. Keep reading

No comments: