Saturday 6 March 2010

Interviews: Esai Morales, Genevieve Buechner, James Marsters

First, a reminder: the new episode, introducing two new recurring characters -- Tomas Vergis (John Pyper-Ferguson) and Barnabas Greeley (James Marsters) airs tonight (Friday) at 9.

And another round of interviews today.

SCI FI Wire has the first part of a Q & A they did with Esai Morales:




The Caprica Times talked to Genevieve Buechner this week. The interview is here.

The Caprica Times: Have you seen Battlestar Galactica?
Genevieve Buechner
: I have, but not the whole series. I haven’t finished watching it all yet. I have it on DVD. As strange at this might sound coming from someone who works in the film industry, I don’t watch TV. I don’t have any cable – only DVDs – but believe me, I have enough DVDs for a lifetime. Huge collection.
The Caprica Times: You play an important role as William Adama’s sister. Does that factor into how you view Tamara?
Genevieve Buechner:
Well they both have very separate stories really. Before Tamara was killed she was probably just a regular big sister – you know, a bit of teasing, a bit of, ”I’m older than you so I can do this, and you cant!,” probably some nice heart to hearts, and she would stand up to anyone who would hurt him, no doubt. But Tamara’s story is about how shes stuck. She’s trying to find a way out. William’s story is more about him learning who he really is – learning that his nameis really Adama, not Adams. He’s connecting with other parts of his family while his father is mourning over Tamara and his wife.
The Caprica Times: How do you relate to your character?
Genevieve Buechner:
She is actually very strong-willed. In the pilot you hear her telling her mother about how she stands up for her race. She was being made fun of, being called a dirt-eater, and she didn’t stand for it. When I was little I was bullied in school pretty badly and as I got older I realized that I had the right to stand up for myself, for who I am. We are similar in that way.

And a couple of new interviews with James Marsters have popped up online. Snippets and links below.

How much leverage did they give you to make Barnabas your own?
I feel like I climbed into a playpen with a bunch of energetic children who were just playing. I got down there and the word was I was going to be in a kilt, which I thought was fabulous. I was running around in kilts the first day. We took pictures of that, the pictures went upstairs and they said, “Nah. Not cool enough.” They started throwing other stuff on me to the point where by the time we were filming, it was just like dark jeans, dark T-shirt and just a LOT of dirt. That worked great. And then a really cool jacket on top. (...)

Do you consider him a villain?
Hell no! You can’t. I’ve never thought [that] of any of the characters I’ve played who were making mistakes or hurting people. We’re all villains! It depends on if you’re hurting people or not on that day. -- USA Weekend

iF: Had you wanted to play a terrorist before this?

MARSTERS: [laughs] Yeah. One of my favorite films is V FOR VENDETTA, which is not to say that my personal choice is to take up arms. I myself am in the middle of a nonviolent revolution, but I have to say, the only difference between me and my character on this show is that Barnabus has decided that it’s okay to hurt people for the revolution.

iF Isn’t Barnabus also sort of a religious fanatic?

MARSTERS: Yes. However, and follow me here, because I’m playing the role, I have to understand where he’s coming from. What I love both about BATTLESTAR and about CAPRICA is that there are lots of gray areas. There are people that are fighting for what they believe in, and they’re making mistakes anyway. But Barnabus, my character, is living in a world that’s like ancient Rome, where [in virtual reality] they’re having mass executions and mass orgies and feeding each other to animals, and it’s a society becoming unhinged with decadence. And just like I can understand people being swayed by Christianity in that background, I can understand Barnabus getting swayed, too, to really want there to be one God who has answers and who has rules, like “Don’t hit your sister,” “Don’t pee in the pool,” “Forgive each other,” almost like a parent helping us to stop hurting each other. And that’s very seductive, to not have the answers about how to fix the world but want them to be provided to you by this wise hand. The only difference is that I’m a Jeffersonian Christian, which [means] that you just pay attention to the New Testament, and you don’t care if Jesus walked on water, you just listen to the philosophy, the one that went down through Gandhi and then down to Dr. Martin Luther King. The major part of that is, I believe, you can change the world without hurting people. Barnabus has chosen something different. He is going to change the world by hurting people. That’s where he diverges.

iF: In playing Barnabus, do you as an actor engage in physical fight scenes, or does Barnabus delegate the hurting of people?

MARSTERS: He so far is delegating, but he is definitely a character who could mix it up. As we’re playing him, he’s a very dangerous character physically. But he hasn’t gotten into a fight scene yet. I can’t wait ‘til they let me do that, though – they’re going to be very happy with dailies that day [laughs]. - iF Magazine

Also, SpoilerTV has a full transcript of the conference call Marsters did the other day here.

No comments: