Sunday 17 June 2012

Falling Skies premiere, The Killing finale, Christopher Heyerdahl in True Blood, and a few more updates

Falling Skies returns tonight at 9 pm on TNT with a two-hour season premiere, season two of The Killing ends at 9 pm on AMC, Christopher Heyerdahl makes his first appearance in True Blood (HBO, 10 pm), and there are new episodes of Continuum and Longmire.

First stop, Falling Skies. Luciana Carro and Ryan Robbins will be recurring this season, and other than the showrunner, three BSG/Caprica writers -- Mark Verheiden, Bradley Thompson and David Weddle -- worked on season two.

Rémi Aubuchon (showrunner) and the cast have been doing interviews left and right in recent weeks. Jim Halterman talked to him about the new season. You can read the interview at The Futon Critic. Snippets:
Jim Halterman: Having watched the first few episodes of the second season - and not taking anything away from the first season - I felt like things were sharper and tighter.
Remi Aubuchon: Steven [Spielberg, Executive Producer] is very terse and concise in his direction and basically what he said was 'Look, I want you to amp up the second season.' And I think that what a lot of that comes from is us deciding that we've set the backdrop, we've established the foundation of the story now let's just go with it and I think you can feel that energy in the second season.

JH: Is there an overall theme for this season or do you not really think in those terms?
RA: There are. There are a few competing themes but... not competing. There are parallel things. I will say that part of what we really were entrusted in exploring is the sense of human resilience that when we're faced with challenges it actually makes us stronger. It makes us more determined. I really wanted to lay a lot of weight onto our characters and up the stakes. I hope at the end of the season we have a chance of surviving anything.

JH: You have some new characters coming in, too. How do you construct that when you're going into season two and thinking 'okay, we need somebody who can represent this or somebody who can complicate this?'
RA: Well I had two objectives. One is I wanted to feel that there was a dynamic and changing of the Second Mass. That it's clear at the beginning that they suffered some huge losses and new characters come in. And I wanted audiences to get comfortable with the idea that there may be people in and out all the time. The characters we love may not survive and characters that we never knew existed suddenly come in and play an important part. I also wanted to give Lourdes (Seychelle Gabriel) a love interest and Brandon (Jay McLaren, who plays Jamil Dexter), by the way, is just a terrific actor and jumped into everything in this season so nicely. And it's almost hard for a lot of us to feel as if he wasn't part of the Second Mass right from the beginning. And that's really cool. He falls in really well.
Three If By Space (the go-to blog for anything related to the show) has a bunch of clips from the press junket.

The Vancouver Sun talked to Rémi Aubuchon while they were still shooting:
“One of the things Vancouver has, that not many people talk about, is incredibly versatile locations. I don’t think people realize just how much you can get just by driving 20 or 30 kilometres. This city is just crazy that way; it’s wonderful.

“I can also say, and I don’t mean this in a pandering way, that the crews up here are remarkable, and always have been. It was like that for me on Caprica, and it’s the same now. Also, this has become the mecca for visual effects houses, which is why you see so much science fiction done here. It’s a very deep talent pool. That’s another reason to be here.” (...)

“This season is all about unexpected left turns,” he says. “It’s a speedball. There’s a real urgency in the drama. That said, it’s always a challenge to find the right balance between the light and darkness. The premise is that 90 per cent of humanity has been destroyed, so how do you find the light there? It’s a challenge because it’s very easy to go dark.

“But I think the strength of the show, especially this season, is this sense of optimism that still exists. These people aren’t lying down. They’re fighting. Hard. And when they do that, they find life and joy in the day-to-day.”
A snippet from L.A. Times:
"It was always [series creator Robert Rodat's] objective to parallel the American Revolution," says showrunner Remi Aubuchon, who joined the show for its second season after co-creating the"Battlestar Galactica" prequel "Caprica" and writing for "Stargate Universe." "I took that to heart, because I think the story of the American Revolution is fascinating and unique within human history. It shouldn't be lost on anybody that we have a Potomac River-crossing episode. Also, the embodiment of [Wyle's character] Tom as a statesman-soldier is one I wanted to embrace more in the second season."
Oh, yeah. He also says the writers have already started work on season three. Hopefully there's a round of congrats coming in the next month or so.

You can find more interviews at TV Line, TV Guide, Spoiler TV, and probably more than a few other places. Spoiler TV has episode summaries for the first half of the season.

Preview:



Moving on to The Killing, AMC TV has a recent Q&A with Brian Markinson.
Q: In Episode 2, Gil says to Holder, "You think you got this job because you're a good cop? You got it because you're dirty and everyone knows it." How did you feel about your character's reintroduction in the second season?
A: The whole scene tickled me. When I was brought on in the first season, my character name on the page was "Man in Suit." And they said, "You're going to be back," but they couldn't tell me anything about anything. So I took the job thinking that my character had a history, but that he was a good guy. And then this season, I saw Veena [Sud] after reading the first two episodes and I said, "You really pulled the rug out from under me!" I had just made the assumption that I was going to be this great guy who took care of Holder and had these heartfelt conversations over coffee about his addiction. So naïve. Dan Attias, who directed that episode, said, "This scene is why you took the job." It was a beautiful and surprising scene. They completely changed tack on me and in that one speech. It just completely turns the tables.

Q: Is that an enjoyable way to work as an actor, never really knowing what's coming next?
A: There's something great about it. You're never really playing the end, you're playing the moment. I've done three films with Woody Allen and it's the same thing. He sends you only your scene so you really have no choice but to play what's on the page and not bring a lot of extra stuff, i.e. your ideas, to the character. I think it's a really cool thing.

Q: In the last two years alone, you've juggled recurring roles on six different TV series. How is that possible?
A: I'm really blessed. I'm doing three or four different series right now, and so I'm taking off on a motorcycle really soon. I'm really fortunate because of the way I look and where I live and the parts I play, there's a certain anonymity for me and I can still go out on the street with my kids. It gives me balance in my life.
You can catch him in The Killing and Continuum tonight, and he'll also be stopping by Saving Hope this season, but no word yet in which episode.

A couple of new interviews with Richard Harmon showed up in recent days, too. The TV Addict talked to him about Continuum, The Killing and Caprica. Snippets:
To get the fans and audience excited about what is upcoming on CONTINUUM, what would you like to tease?
RICHARD: The thing that I’ve loved about watching it has been “eco terrorists.” They get really, really interesting in the next couple of episodes and they just continue to develop what they stand for and what they are willing to do. I think the audience is going to love where they are going with that storyline.

Then talking about your other series THE KILLING, we are heading towards the final couple episodes of the 2nd season and they are finally going to tell us who killed Rosie Larsen.
RICHARD: I think we’re all dying to find out who did it.

Have you figured it out or found out who the killer is yet?
RICHARD: I haven’t figure it out. I have no idea who the killer is. They don’t tell me anything!

Will we be seeing another appearance of Jasper before the finale?
RICHARD: I don’t think you’ll be seeing me again before the end of the second season. Hopefully in the third season, I might come back. I never know, every time I leave the set of THE KILLING. They are so secretive. They keep everything so wonderfully close to the vest that I have no idea that every time I walk off set it might be the last time I play that character.

I’ve enjoyed your other work on other shows, like CAPRICA, where you played one of my favorite characters.
RICHARD: Oh, great. Then you know my girlfriend, Genevieve Buechner. She was in CAPRICA. She played Tamara Adama. I don’t know if my character was trying to save her or use her for his own purposes. We’ve been dating ever since.

We’d like to believe that there were very chivalrous intentions there. But I should say that the episode “There Is Another Sky” is my favorite episode and you two were great in it together. Your chemistry together clearly shone through.
RICHARD: It was good chemistry, obviously.
And the other interview, mostly about The Killing, is at About.com:
Q: Tell us about your role as Jasper Ames in The Killing...
Richard: "I think Jasper may be one of the most slappable faces on television - watching him sometimes makes me want to wring my own neck on television. The show revolves around this young woman's tragic death and I play her ex-boyfriend, who is not the nicest of people. His family is very rich and he is very entitled and very smug. He thinks he can control everything and I think that stems from not having the greatest home life. His parents weren't really there for him; they just gave him money and not much love."

The Province talked to both Christopher Heyerdahl and Ryan Robbins at the Leo Awards. Here is what Ryan said about his character in Hell on Wheels:
“I play an ex-confederate soldier, he’s a pretty gnarly dude, hence the beard and hair,” says Robbins.

“I watched the first season because Christopher Heyerdahl is a good friend of mine, he pays the Swede. I started watching it just for him, but then I fell in love with the show. I love that time frame. set in the late 1800′s in the west, the building to the railroad. I ride horses, shoot guns, it’s so much fun.”
And a snippet about Dieter Braun, the new fangosaurus rex in Bon Temps:
"I'm a part of the vampire authority, their agenda is mainstreaming and true blood (the show's synthetic vampire food)," says Heyerdahl. "Then there's the fundamentalists who believe humans are just a food source and perhaps other pleasures."

And here is a recent interview from Gold Derby, about Sanctuary, True Blood and Hell on Wheels:



Hell on Wheels will be back on August 12. Season one was released on DVD and Blu-ray on May 15.

The synopsis for tonight's episode of True Blood:
At the Vampire Authority headquarters in New Orleans, Bill and Eric meet Salome (Valentina Cervi) and become acquainted with the Authority’s interrogation techniques. Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) recalls her human life as the madam of the Comstock Brothel in San Francisco, and her first encounter with Eric. Werewolves J.D. (Louis Herthum) and Rikki (Kelly Overton) pay tribute to Marcus, but Alcide refuses to participate or take his rightful place as the new packmaster. Martha Bozeman (Dale Dickey) shows up wanting to see her granddaughter, causing conflict for Sam and Luna (Janina Gavankar). Fearing Russell’s return, Sookie procures a home-protection system; Arlene (Carrie Preston) tries to get to the bottom of Terry’s erratic behavior; Steve Newlin stops by with an offer for Jessica; and Jason feels the brunt of his womanizing ways.

And here is a preview of the next few episodes:

No comments: